About SJC

In the year 1861,Monsignor Steins, Vicar Apostolic of Bombay passing through Belgium called Mother Marie Therese, Superior General and founders of the Daughter of the Cross, and asked for several of her sisters to work in the Indian mission field. Canon Habets, co-founder, advised the Sisters to offer themselves for the mission.

On January 27th 1862, the journey began. Five Sisters set off and on 16th February in Bombay, where they received a hearty welcome from the good Bishop Steins. There the Sisters heard for the first time that they were to work in Karachi, and that he would travel along with them very shortly. Thus on march 13th 1862 the five Daughters of the Cross first set foot on the sandy soil of Sindh, and immediately began their apostolate to the people of Karachi.

On March 18th, school began with 10 pupils, slowly the number of pupils increased. A new building was built, and inside the foundation stone was placed an elaborate inscription hoping that the building raised above it “might be the home whence good morals and sound learning may be diffused throughout this town and the Province of Sindh.”

In 1863 a new batch of Sisters arrived. In 1869 an upper storey was added to the Convent, providing accommodation for the boarders and from January 1871 the institution was known as St. Joseph’s Covent. After many years in 1951 the college was built. After the new St. Patrick’s Church was built, the Convent acquired the use of the old Church, which was rebuilt into the present fine Hall, with a built-in stage. 1901 saw the building of the present Convent Chapel with the classrooms below. Unfortunately, the roof of this was torn off six months later in a violent cyclone, which swept over Karachi. In 1911, St. Patrick’s and St. Joseph’s kept their golden jubilee with a combined P.T Display, and the production of a Drama, William Tell, in the G.P. Hall. During 1911, five pupils, Ethel Raymond, Annie Rodrigues, Eugene Nunes, Mary Lastellino and Mary D’Souza appeared for their Matriculation Examination, and all passed. Ethel Raymond passed 2nd in Sindh and won a scholarship. In 1958 the swimming pool was closed and transformed into the Lourdes House and in 1965 a part of the garden saw the raising of the present Primary Block.

With the creation of Pakistan a new challenge was thrown to the Sisters. The people who migrated to Pakistan were looking for schools for their children and the Sisters responded generously stretching their capacity to the limit. Today the school has more than 2000 pupils on its rolls. The School enjoys a good reputation and is much in demand among the citizens of Karachi.